Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cider Pressin

We had an amazing apple (and most fruit) season this fall. I was invited by my good friend Henry Blackford to go press a bunch of apple cider in Sugar Grove, about 15 minutes from Boone. Earlier in the season Henry and I went to his folks' place in Todd to pick several hundred apples. I've still got those apples cooked down and in the freezer until I make a batch of apple butter.

Here are a few pics from our day pressing over 25 gallons of cider:

First apples are halved to make sure they are not rotten and to ease the grinding process.

Then they're loaded into the grinder, where they become coarsely-chopped apple bits.

Then the chopped bits are pressed by turning the wheel, compacting the bits and causing all the juice to rush out the bottom.

Here's what it looks like. Freshest apple juice I have ever tasted.


The juice is then poured through a strainer and into glass jugs.

Here's about 4 hours of work. The majority of this is now hard cider.

4 comments:

LiPing P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LiPing P. said...

looks very interesting. Can I have some fresh apple cider next time I see you...

Eric Wooldridge said...

I'll bring some to Nashville later this month if you will be in town.

Emily said...

That was some damn good cider.